Best durable toys for large dogs
Looking for the best durable toys for large dogs? You have come to the right place.
Just like your dog is very important to you, finding the best durable dog toys is essential for your dog. Dog toys are not just some luxury but are a necessity for your dog.
They play a vital role in providing mental stimulation, offering physical activity, and fighting boredom. In addition to this, these large breed toys provide comfort when your dog is feeling nervous or aggressive and help in your dog’s chewing mechanism. For all these reasons, you need to look for the best durable dog toys you can get.
There are different types of indestructible dog toys and each type serves its function – whether it is fulfilling your dog’s physical needs or emotional ones. Check out the best chew toys for dogs that are specifically designed to keep your pooch in mind.
1. Ultra-Durable Rubber Chew Toy
If you are looking for indestructible dog toys, the Ultra-Durable Rubber Chew Toy is one of a kind that is made up of the strongest industrial rubber compound. It is puncture-resistant, solid, and heavy-duty, making it virtually unbreakable. This makes it perfect for the most aggressive large breed dogs.
The natural rubber is FDA-approved, 100% non-toxic, and safe for your canine friend. There are no sharp edges, and though the material is super sturdy, it is easy on the gums, making it a perfect chew, fetch, or tug of war toy. The Ultra-Durable Rubber Chew Toy has been tested by German Shepherds, Mastiffs, Pitbull, and all other aggressive chewers, hence making it one of the best durable dog toys out there in the market.
- Made in USA
- UNMATCHED DURABILITY: Our proprietary rubber compound is puncture, chew, and tear resistant, yet soft and flexible for safe chewing; solid, heavy duty design; engineered to be as strong & indestructible as physically possible for long-lasting durability. Whether you have a high-energy dog who plays non-stop, or a super chewing behemoth, since 2016 our toys are proven to outlast it all. Give your big dog a real challenge with a toy they’ll love! …
2. Chuckit! Ultra-Ball Dog Toy
If your canine loves to play fetch, the Chuckit! Ultra-Ball Dog Toy promises a great game of fetch whether on land or in water. Made of natural rubber, the ball is specially designed to keep those aggressive players in mind.
The Chuckit! Ultra Ball Dog Toy flies farther, has a super high bounce, and floats higher than some of the best durable dog toys.
The orange and blue colored attractive ball is a favorite of not just the dogs but the large breed dog owners as well. It is not financially practical to replace chewed balls at regular intervals, therefore, the Ultra Ball makes sure to stay with your dog for a very long time.
3. Real Bacon Infused Bark Bone
The Real Bacon Infused Bark Bones are one of the best chew toys for dogs for many reasons: they are non-toxic, non-allergic, and do not use any additives, flavorings as well as colorants. They are large bones that are curved from the edges making it very convenient for your canine to pick them up, hold, and chew them.
The bacon / BBQ flavor keeps your large breed dog glued to the bone, and highly entertained too. It comes in different sizes, where the large bone is recommended for dogs up to 45 pounds in weight, and the extra-large bones are good for dogs that are up to 80 pounds.
The Real Bacon Infused Bark Bone scrapes your dog’s teeth in a healthy manner and massages the gums. All the components used, including nylon and bacon, are FDA-approved and are among the best durable dog toys.
However, if you feel your dog has broken down some particles of nylon while chewing it, it generally does not go inside your pup’s tummy. In case it does, the bark bone crumbs are safely passed out without a problem. Many dogs may want to witness some damage to the bone to have a satisfying chewing experience.
- ❤ REAL BACON Infused — The newest addition to the Flavorit Bone family, the drool-worthy REAL BACON generously infused in these nylon bones is sure to make you fur friends wag for hours straight!
- ❤ Innovative Design — Fill the tiny pockets on the two sides of this bone with your dog's favorite spread for additional chewing incentive and a low-calorie treat …
4. Benebone Maple Stick Chew Toy
How can we not mention the Benebone Maple Stick Chew Toy when talking about the best chew toys for dogs? With the natural look and feel of a real wooden stick, this highly durable chew toy is one of the most indestructible dog toys out there, for sure.
The Benebone Maple Stick Chew Toy is made up of maple stick and nylon, offering your pup the taste, smell, and texture that are not found in many toys. Due to its intelligent design, your dog can hold it with a firm grip which makes it super easy to chew and enjoy. The natural flavors are sure to make your canine love every time he/ she chews on it.
This chew toy is available in three different sizes, so whether you have a big large breed dog or a small one, there is a Benebone Maple Stick Chew Toy for every size. How cool is that!
- DURABLE, WITH A LITTLE GIVE – Benebones are for determined chewers. Our puppy line is durable and quite firm to the human touch, but is a teeny bit more forgiving for teething pups.
- REAL WOOD FLAVOR – Puppies dig wood flavor, so we use real maple wood. Your furniture legs will thank us.
- EASY FOR PUPS TO GET A GOOD CHEW GOING – Our patented Maplestick is always sits up on one end so your pup can quickly grab it and get a good chew going. Think about it: puppies don’t have thumbs …
5. Dogwood Wooden Dog Chew Toy
Dogs love wood sticks, but natural wood sticks are generally not good for your large breed dog for many reasons: they are not durable (as much as your dog may like it to be), the wooden strips can be harmful to your dog’s gums, and it can even cause choking. Why would you want to risk your pup’s health when you have the best dog chew toys in the form of Dogwood Wooden Dog Chew Toy?
With the natural look and feel, the Dogwood Wooden Dog Chew Toy has a real wood flavor to satisfy your canine’s chewing instincts but is less messy than an actual wooden stick. It is made from safe and non-toxic material which guarantees that the gums remain safe and the pup remains happy.
This dog chew toy offers your dog a great interactive play, and your canine can enjoy playing fetch and undergoing retrieval training.
Whether you have a teething pup or a full-grown dog, the four different sizes of the Dogwood Wooden Dog Chew Toy ensure that whatever the age bracket of your dog is, he is guaranteed to enjoy this lead-free FDA-approved toy.
6. Elk Antler Healthy Chew
The primary qualities of the best dog chew toys are that they last longer, provide the chewing satisfaction that a dog craves, have less odor, and leave less mess while the dog chews on them. All these qualities can be found in the Elk Antler Healthy Chew which makes it one of the best chew toys for dogs.
The Elk Antler Healthy Chew is a dog-friendly treat that does not only look attractive but tastes great too. It is naturally colored (no artificial dyes are used) which makes it healthy and attractive at the same time.
The bone provides your pup with calcium, phosphorus, chondroitin, glucosamine, minerals, and vitamins to keep your large breed dog as well as his/ her teeth strong and healthy.
If your large breed dog loves to dig through rawhide, giving him/ her the Elk Antler Healthy Chew will not only satisfy his/ her cravings but will also keep your furniture safe and your pup healthy.
7. Titan Busy Bounce Dog Toy
If you are looking for indestructible mastiff toys, you can find many good options, however, having a multifunction toy can be a bonus. The Titan Buys Bounce Dog Toy is a 2 in 1 toy that can not only be played with and chewed by your large breed dog, but it can also carry treats; so when your pup is playing, it is getting the activity as well as the nutrition it needs.
The Titan Busy Bounce Dog Toy is intelligently designed to give you the maximum and the most unusual bounce due to its structure, hence giving a surprise element whenever your large breed dog plays with it. It is available in two different sizes (medium and large) to cater to your dog’s age and size.
One of the best durable dog toys, the Titan Busy Bounce is made up of good quality FDAapproved rubber that allows heavy-duty chewing by your canine. Since you can fill it up with treats, dog bone, and peanut butter, it is designed to be dishwasher safe which makes it even perfect for your large breed dog’s health and wellbeing.
8. KONG Rubber Ball Extreme
Chewing is an important part of your dog’s daily routine and for this reason, you need the best dog chew toys, such as the Kong Rubber Ball Extreme. This extremely durable rubber ball is perfect for chew sessions and is everything your large breed fetch partner is looking for.
The Kong Rubber Ball Extreme will keep your dog’s teeth and gums strong and clean. It is available in two different sizes and gives you the option of buying one with or without the hole.
You can double the fun by putting dog treats or peanut butter in the hole, making it a multifunctional dog treat toy. It has an amazing bounce, and your large breed dog can enjoy playing with the rubber ball without damaging the floor or the walls.
Kong is a renowned name when it comes to making good quality dog toys, and the Kong Rubber Ball Extreme is an excellent addition to its collection of indestructible dog toys which promises to give your large breed dog months of never-ending fun.
- Power Chewing Dogs: The natural KONG Extreme black rubber formula is created to be very durable for power chewing dogs
- Fetch Toy: The extreme bounce makes this ball a great choice for fun games of fetch with lots of interactive play and exercise
- Puncture Resistant: Your dog's health and safety is a primary concern at KONG. This toy is puncture resistant for continued safe play …
9. KONG Squeezz Ball Dog Toy
One of the best durable dog toys you can find, the Kong Squeezz Ball Dog Toy is squeaky, bouncy, colorful, and fun – exactly what you and your large breed dog are looking for!
It has a recessed squeaker that your dog cannot get to despite a lot of effort. This makes the squeaky ball a lot more entertaining and exciting for your large breed dog and hence, ideal to be played with for longer durations.
Whether you are playing fetch, or your dog is playing on his/ her own, the Kong Squeezz Ball Dog Toy is highly durable which proves the value-for-money feature.
Kong has never disappointed its customers and the Kong Squeezz Ball Dog Toy can be an exciting addition to your canine’s collection. It comes in many vibrant colors leaving you (and your dog) spoilt for choices. It comes in three different sizes so whether you have a small dog or a big one, you can get one for your large breed dog.
10. West Paw Zogoflex Air Boz
Indestructible dog toys have a lot of benefits: they are cost-effective, safe, and long-lasting. In addition to this, if you can get a dog toy that is satisfying to chew, easy to play fetch with, and kills your dog’s boredom, what else can you wish for? All these qualities, and many more, can be found in the West Paw Zogoflex Air Boz.
The best part of this durable toy is that it can be used on different terrains. The West Paw Zogoflex Air Boz floats in water, so whether you are playing fetch on land or water, you can have fun on any surface you want. The soft and lightweight makes this ball ideal to be caught when your dog is jumping.
The ball has a high bounce and is made up of high-quality recyclable material. It is dishwasher safe so whatever surface your dog is playing on, do not worry about the hygiene. The West Paw Zogoflex Air Boz is available in many funky colors and comes in two sizes: small and large.
11. Indestructible Dog Discs
Whether your dog is not a big fan of playing fetch with balls, or you need another option to spice up his toy box, the Indestructible Dog Discs is undoubtedly one of the best durable dog toys you need to invest in. These discs are tough and high-flying which makes them perfect for a game of fetch on any terrain.
But being tough does not mean they are hard on your pup’s gums – they are made with soft yet durable material that is gentle on gums but resilient when your pooch plans to chew and rip it apart.
The Indestructible Dog Discs are light in weight and hence easy to throw making them ideal for large breed dogs who are not even a big fan of playing fetch. The discs are super fun and are made with non-toxic floatable material that retains its shape even after months of playing.
- BLUE COLOR FOR MAXIMUM DOG VISIBILITY: Bright colors like green, orange, yellow and red stand out to human eyes, but the dog color visibility spectrum is different. For your furry friend, the most distinct and bright color is blue. Give a blue Frisbee a try and see the difference!
- TONS OF FUN FOR YOU AND YOUR DOG: Playing with a Frisbee is great fun and healthy exercise for both you and your beloved dog. It’s the perfect way to spend more time outdoors, It's an ideal gift for dog lovers, and when your dog gets thirsty you can even turn it over and use it as a drinking bowl …
12. GoughNuts Original Dog Chew Ring
The GoughNuts Original Dog Chew Ring is a great addition to some of the best durable dog toys as it offers your dog a safer and tougher chew with an amazing quality. It is made up of natural rubber with engineered carbon reinforcement for extra durability.
The GoughNuts Dog Chew Ring has two layers of intelligently designed rubber for your dog’s use and safety. The outer latter indicates the strength of the ring which is perfect for some of the most aggressive chewers out there. The inner layer is red and serves as a safety indicator.
When your canine reaches the red inner core, it means it is time to stop (red indicates stop) using it and getting a new one.
The GoughNuts Original Dog Chew Ring can bounce, roll, and float, giving your dog lots of ways to play with it. You can enjoy a great game of fetch on any terrain – land or water – and all kinds of outdoors.
And while your pup enjoys taking it to places and chewing it from everywhere, cleaning this one of the best chew toys for dogs is easy as you can just wash it with warm water, and it becomes as clean as new.
13. Dura Chew Power Chew Textured Ring
The Dura Chew Power Chew Textured Ring is not just one of the best dog chew toys by the Nylabone brand, but it is a practical addition to a large dog’s toy chest. It is carefully designed for extreme chewers as the durable nylon ring can sustain an enormous amount of pressure giving your chewer the satisfaction he/ she craves for.
The nubs and ridges present on the Dura Chew Power Chew Textured Ring help in cleaning those precious teeth to help control plaque and tartar giving your pup a Hollywood smile! It is deliciously flavored to make sure your large breed canine enjoys chewing it and fulfilling its cravings while helping your dog in weight management.
14. Nylabone Dura Chew
One of the best-sellers when it comes to the best chew toys for dogs, the Nylabone Dura Chew offers everything to satisfy your stubborn chewer.
Having the ability to sustain enormous pressure, this durable Nylabone Dura Chew is available in different varieties: the axis bone, the textured bone, the S-bone, and the textured ring. This means that there is one for every size, age, and type of dog – from a puppy to over 50 pounds.
The Nylabone Dura Chew is available in different flavors making it irresistible for your canine. It is made of non-toxic material and offers to develop positive chewing habits as the textured surface helps your pup in maintaining dental hygiene.
15. Power Chew Durable Dog Toy
Nylabone offers a unique X-shaped powerful, chewable, and durable option (hence the name Power Chew Durable Dog Toy) which is an excellent addition to its reliable list of indestructible dog toys.
Whether your dog needs a gentle and soft toy during his/ her teething phase, or he/ she is an aggressive chewer, the Power Chew offers four different options to satisfy your large breed dog’s chewing needs.
The X-shape nylon toy is textured to clean those precious teeth and keep the gums healthy. The four chewing ends of the Power Chew Durable Dog Toy are easy to grip, chew, and play. It has a delicious beef flavor that keeps your pup engaged for a long time.
16. Kong Extreme Dog Toy
The Kong Extreme Dog Toy offers a tough, interactive, and fun way to keep your pup busy. One of the most indestructible dog toys you will come across, the weird design works great in keeping your dog’s teeth clean and gums healthy. It has a strong built that bounces well keeping your pup engaged.
The Kong Extreme Dog toy comes in five sizes catering to your canine’s size, age, and chewing abilities. It is a multifunction toy that is hollow from inside that not only helps in reducing the toy’s weight to make it easy to hold and carry but is also a great way to excite your canine by filling it with his/ her favorite treat. And if that’s not enough, put it in the freezer and give a new sense of excitement and play to your large breed dog.
- Use as a fetch stick that's both safe and reliable
- Helps clean teeth and soothe gums
- Made in the USA. Globally Sourced Materials.
- Great for stuffing with KONG Easy Treat, Snacks or Ziggies
- Unpredictable bounce for games of fetch
17. Dog Goodie Bone
If your dog loves the shape and size of a classic bone but you are afraid to give him/ her one due to health reasons (an actual bone can be harmful to your dog causing the gums and mouth to blister), you will love one of the best chew toys for dogs that Kong offers.
The Dog Goodie Bone has a classic bone shape but is made of good quality and highly durable rubber. This makes this toy bone safe and fun.
The two ends of the Dog Goodie Bone are great for putting in your dog’s favorite treat or peanut butter. You can use it as a fetch stick, or your dog can play with it on its own. It comes in three different sizes (small, medium, and large), so no matter how big or small your dog is, you have no excuse to not give it the Dog Goodie Bone.
- Durability: The natural KONG Classic red rubber formula is created to be durable and satisfy your dog's natural instinct to chew
- Great For Stuffing: The KONG Goodie Bone is even more enticing when stuffed with KONG Easy Treat or Snacks. The patented Goodie Gripper holes are ideal for stuffing challenges …
18. Durable Dog Chew Toy
The Oneisall’s Durable Dog Chew Toy makes playing, chewing, and chopping so much fun. It is easy for your dog to hold on to and keeps him/ her engaged with its irresistible bacon flavor. It eliminates your dog’s boredom and anxiety as your dog can play with it solo or you can enjoy an interactive game of fetch.
It is made of non-toxic and safe nylon and keeps your chewer’s teeth clean and promotes dental hygiene. The Durable Dog Chew Toy comes in three different sizes and is one of the best durable dog toys you will come across.
- Meet Dog's Instinctual Need - Dog chew toy helps satisfy dogs'natural urge to chew, reduce anxiety and avoid destructive chewing. Teaching healthy chewing habit for dogs, good for training, teething, weight management and more
- Layered Textured And Nub Chew Toy Features - Effectively cleaning teeth and control tartar and plaque growth, provide long-lasting engagement and promote your dog's strong jaws …
19. Original Dog Chew Ring
If you are looking for adding some indestructible dog toys in your canine’s toybox, look no farther than the Original Dog Chew Ring. Made from super-tough non-toxic rubber, the chew ring gives your dog the chewing sensation not many rings offer.
The Original Dog Chew Ring is 5 inches in diameter and has a 1.75 inches cross-section. It is designed and made in the US and can be used on multiple terrains – land or water. The Original Dog Chew Ring is easy to hold on to and offers a virtually indestructible built.
- SAME RUBBER THE ASTRONAUTS USE – SERIOUSLY, our reinforced natural rubber is designed by engineers that make rubber for spaceships and aircraft. UNIQUE DURABILITY FOR UNIQUE DOGS: We have multiple rubber recipes to better suit all dog types. Please reference the sizing sheet in the images. This is our toughest recipe …
20. Tonka Flex Tread 3-Ring Tug Dog Toys
Especially designed and built to deal with the toughest of play, your dog can enjoy a great game of tug of war with other pups. The tug toy is easy to grip, perfect to play fetch with, and is made of great quality rubber that can withstand aggressive rounds of tugging.
Being as tough as a tire, the Tonka Flex Tread 3-Ring Tug Dog Toy will give your large breed canine months of interactive fun – whether your pup is playing alone, with you, or with other friendly dogs.
A well-designed, durable toy is not only for your dog to play with, but it also offers numerous health benefits. It prevents your dog from getting bored and taking out his/ her anxiety on your valuable furniture. For your dog’s dental hygiene, physical wellbeing, and behavioral stimulation, make sure to buy him interesting and indestructible mastiff toys.
How to Choose the Right Chew Dog Toys
There is a wide variety of dog toys available in the market and each toy is specifically designed keeping a certain dog “type” in mind.
What works for one age, size, or breed of dogs may be totally useless or even harmful for the other. For this reason, you need to choose your dog’s toys carefully while considering a combination of factors such as your dog’s size, his activity level, chewing and playing habits, and the environment your dog lives in.
Dog toys should be durable and have an element of fun for your dog. Although there is no guarantee that your dog will fall in love with a certain toy (dogs have their reasons to be enthusiastic about certain toys), there are some factors you need to consider before getting the right toy for your dog. These factors are:
Age of Your Dog
Young dogs need developmental toys that provide them with ample exercise and build their stamina and muscles. Puppies need toys that are easy to get a grip on and something gentle on the gums.
When they are teething, their gums and jaws become sore and itchy, and the puppies need relief from a toy that they can chew on (just like we give our babies teethers when they are teething).
An older dog may not be as fascinated by some toys as a younger pup is. Also, a dog may not realize the difference between a toy and an everyday thing that can pose danger to him. You need to dog-proof your home to make sure there are no rubber bands, beads, strings, ribbons, or children’s small toys that your dog could ingest.
Size of Your Dog
The dog toys should be according to the current size of your dog. An average-sized playing ball may be too small for a small-sized dog to get hold on to but can be just right for a dog that has a larger built. On the other hand, a small ball that is perfect for a smaller size dog could be life-threatening for a bigger dog as it could be swallowed or could get stuck inside your dog’s mouth or throat.
Large toys could also be overwhelming for small-sized dogs. If you buy a small-sized dog a larger plush toy, your dog may find it very hard to play with.
Breed of Your Dog
Unlike a child who knows exactly what toy he/ she wants to get; a dog can never communicate with you about his toy wish. However, there is a way you can tell what dog toys could interest your pet friend – your dog’s breed.
Every dog’s breed has a certain characteristic that defines your dog’s personality and could help you immensely when deciding the perfect toy for your dog.
The retriever dogs have soft mouths (they do not bite what they carry) and are excellent at fetching games. A tennis ball (or a similar-sized ball) can be a great toy for them as you can throw it and they would love to fetch it for you. Terriers are small and very active dogs who have a built-in ability to hunt.
Treat dispensing puzzle toys are great for them. The Sighthound dogs like to hunt using their vision and not their sense of smell. A frisbee is a great toy for such dogs who would want to run as fast as they can to make sure the target does not go out of sight.
If your dog’s breed requires less exercise, you can get them soft toys that they would love to play around with, but if the breed requires a lot of activity, choose a toy that would make them run around and drain out their energy.
Dogs tend to quickly lose interest in toys that have hard, tough surfaces as well as toys that don’t make any noise when played with. Texture plays an important role in dog toys. A puppy or a small-built dog may find toys with soft plush textures more playable than others. For a teething puppy, uneven textured toys where he can rub his gums on is a definite favorite.
A lot of dogs prefer textures that can be torn apart just like they would do to prey, bringing out their hunting instincts. This may explain why your dog may find tearing and shredding tissue rolls so exciting.
If you live in an apartment and do not have access to the ground or park, you may not invest in frisbee or similar discs. You can throw a ball or a stick, but you have a limited area to do that. You may want to get your dog some interactive toys like a treat dispenser that keeps your dog draining his energy without using much of the space.
If your dog is used to open fields, get him a bigger toy that he can run and play with. You may want to keep plush toys (that absorb moisture) away from your dog if your dog is used to going out in wet conditions, or has easy access to a pool or pond.
Types of Durable Dog Toys
A chew dog toy is specially designed to be chewed by your dog to eliminate boredom and provide stimulation to your dog. Dogs find biting a chew toy quite soothing.
These toys work best if you have a teething puppy who wants to press his gums against a toy, as doing so releases the feel-good chemicals in the brain and helps in soothing the teething pain. However, chewing and gnawing are not limited to teething puppies only; big dogs love to play with chew toys as a means of burning their energy.
Chew dog toys also keep your dogs away from chewing things in your home that your dog may chew and destroy, such as furniture, curtains, shoes, etc.
There are different kinds of chew toys available in the market or online, such as rawhide, wood, rubber, and mineral-based dog toys.
- Rubber and Latex Bones: Whether it is real animal bone or artificially manufactured dental and rubber bones, a bone is a dog’s favorite thing to chew on. However, chewing an actual bone can have many dangers including the dog breaking his teeth, along with the possibility of ingesting small bone fragments which may cause serious health issues.Rubber bones and latex dog toys are a great alternative to actual bones, and they provide a safe and healthy way to satisfy your dog’s chewing instincts. These dog toys help in keeping the gums strong, and the teeth clean, and hence play an important role in keeping your dog’s oral hygiene up to the mark. Different types of rubber toys are available in the market for your dog to chew and play with.
- Rawhide Chew Toys: A rawhide dog toy is made up of animal skin. It is quite sturdy, and your dog may take months to destroy it. The most used rawhide chew toys are the twists and rawhide bones.
- Wooden Chew Toys: A wooden chew toy is usually made from softwood which is often brightly colored with vegetable-based paints or dyes. These toys, such as the commercially produced toy rope, are a great alternative to the wild twigs, pinecones, and shrubs that your dog may want to chew on in the wild. Wooden chew toys keep your dog’s teeth trimmed down preventing eating difficulties in your dog.
- Mineral Chew Toys: Made from animal-safe minerals, the mineral chew toys are often flavored. So, when your dog plays with these toys, he is not just exercising but also intaking some healthy minerals.
- Chewable Balls: There are different sizes of balls (that may be squeaky as well) available that can be used by your dog to play and chew. Make sure the chew ball is specially designed for your dog as you do not want it to break down and get stuck in his throat.